Marriage Solemnization | Utah Marriage Licenses

Individuals in Utah Authorized to Perform Marriages

Marriages can only be solemnized in Utah by the following people: ministers, rabbis, or any priest of a religious denomination older than 17; American Indian spiritual advisors; governor, mayors, or county executives; a justice, judge, or commissioner of a Utah or U.S. court; county clerks; or the president of the Senate or speaker of the House of Representatives.  A retired Utah judge or magistrate may also perform marriages.  If an unauthorized person performs a marriage, it may later on affect a divorce proceeding.

When a person performs a marriage and he or she does not have the authority to do so, it does not invalidate the marriage.  However, Utah statute does require the man and the woman believe they have been lawfully married.  Utah’s common law marriage statute validates a marriage (if it meets certain requirements) when the marriage performer was unauthorized.

Marriage Licenses Required in Utah

A marriage license is issued by a county clerk after a marriage application has been submitted to the clerk.  The application requires simple personal information such as names, addresses, and birth dates.  Something curious about the application is a requirement to disclose the individuals’ distinctive race or nationality.  The marriage license must be used in Utah and expires 30 days after being issued.

If a previously unmarried applicant is under the age of 18 when applying for a marriage application, a license may not be issued without the signed consent of the minor’s father, mother, or guardian.  A marriage license may not be issued for a someone under the age of 14.  The purpose of Utah statutes defining those who may marry and marriage license procedures is to protect the parties to the marriage, their offspring, and parties dealing with them.  A record of the marriage is necessary to ensure the parties will be able to enforce their marital rights, especially when a divorce arises.

Utah Family Law Attorneys Protect Marriage

If you have recently been married, or are going through a divorce, and you think that there may be a problem with your marriage license or with the person who solemnized your marriage, call a family law lawyer from the Salcido Law Firm.  A Salcido Law Firm family law attorney will help you with any marriage legality problems or divorce proceedings.  Call a lawyer today at 801.618.1331.

Send Us A Message

More Posts

When is a protective sweep justified?

What Is A Protective Sweep?

A Protective Sweep is an Exception to the Warrant Rule. Generally speaking, law enforcement officers cannot enter your home to conduct a search without a