Drive By Shooting Defense in Utah
It may seem like common sense, but you shouldn’t shoot a gun from your car. If you do, even if you’re just goofing off, it’s still a criminal offense. Moreover, the law doesn’t only apply to firearms; it applies to any dangerous weapon. A dangerous weapon is one that is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury simply in the manner of its use or intended use. Although we know it as a “drive by shooting” the legal term is “discharge of a firearm from a vehicle.” For drive by shooting defense in Utah call us at 801.413.1753 for a free consultation.
In addition to it being illegal to shoot your gun from a car, it is also illegal to discharge a firearm:
- On a highway or across a highway.
- At highway road signs;
- At communications equipment;
- At public utilities property such as facilities, lines, poles, or transmission or distribution devices;
- At railroad equipment and other railroad property;
- In Utah State Park buildings, camp and picnic sites, overlooks, golf courses, boat ramps, and developed beaches; or
- Without written permission from the owner or person in charge of property within 600 feet of a home or animal homes.
Violation of any of the above is a Class B misdemeanor and will result in a suspension of your driver’s license.
A drive by shooting or other firearm discharge is a third degree felony offense punishable by a minimum of 3 years and a maximum of 5 years in prison if the shots are fired toward people or homes. If injury results from the shooting the penalty increases to a minimum 3 years and maximum 15 years in prison. Additionally, it becomes a second degree felony. Shooting a firearm toward a person or home becomes a first degree felony if it results in “serious bodily injury” and is minimum 5 years in prison all the way up to life in prison.
If you have been charged with discharging a firearm from a vehicle or otherwise firing a gun in an illegal manner, call our Utah lawyer for gun crimes team at 801.413.1753. You can get a free phone consultation right over the phone with our law firm concerning your drive by shooting defense in Utah.
Free Case Review
Thank You For Your Support!
SLF competed in the Tempe AZ 140.6 Ironman Race in November 2018 to help fight child abuse. Thank you everyone who supported us in this important battle.
Utah Law Firm Blog
- How to Make Sense of the Sentencing Matrix in UtahMarch 17, 2019
- Getting Bail in Utah After an Arrest and Being Taken to JailFebruary 22, 2019