Severing Federal Drug Crimes

Federal Drug Crimes Joined with Other Offenses

Most often a defendant, in a Utah drug crimes case in federal court, will be charged with more than one offense.  He could be charged with possession of meth and marijuana along with a charge of burglary or arson.  This increases the amount of evidence against the defendant and thus decreases the defendant’s probability of acquittal in his/her case. If the offenses are similar in character or related to each other, many jurisdictions will have them tried at the same time. If a defendant is charged with multiple offenses that do not appear to be related or of a similar nature it is possible to be charged with these offenses in separate trials. However, drug crimes cases will often involve similar offenses rather than dissimilar ones. Usually if this is the case it is best to hire an attorney who can attempt to sever some offenses by filing  a motion with the court.

A motion for severance is more affective the sooner it is made in a drug crime case. It is best to file this motion before trial because after the beginning of a trial the motion could be ruled untimely and will likely be denied. That is why it would be wise to become aware of all offenses and to consider motions as early on as possible. In pretrial proceedings, if an offense is made known the defendant is then able to make a motion to sever that offense.

Salcido Law Firm Can Help

When facing federal charges of drug offenses, whether involving meth or marijuana, along with other offenses it is important to find an attorney who will consider all your options in court in a timely manner. The criminal defense lawyers at Salcido Law Firm have experience that will secure your confidence and your future. Call us today at 801.618.1334 to set up a free consultation and learn what we can do for you.

Send Us A Message

More Posts

When is a protective sweep justified?

What Is A Protective Sweep?

A Protective Sweep is an Exception to the Warrant Rule. Generally speaking, law enforcement officers cannot enter your home to conduct a search without a