Modifying Your Decree

Many individuals who go through a divorce never want to see the inside of a courtroom again or ever have to think about their Divorce Decree. However, the reality is that the decree cannot be written to deal with all the unexpected changes that happen in life and often the decree needs to be modified. The most common areas of modification are child custody, child support, and parent-time. While other areas of the decree may be modified it is often harder to prove to the court that a modification is warranted for some of the other areas of the divorce decree.

A Substantial Change

The test for whether or not a court will grant a modification is if there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the divorce decree. Furthermore, this change has to be something that was not anticipated at the time of the divorce. Depending on the circumstances this can often be a very difficult thing to prove. In a lot of modification cases the change has to do with employment, whether it be a new job or a loss of a job.

Salt Lake County Family Law Attorney | Divorce Modification

If you would like to modify your divorce then call the attorneys at Salcido Law Firm today. We’ll help you figure out if you can satisfy the substantial change requirement and how we can help you get the changes in your divorce decree that you need. Often times it is very important that you modify your decree because without a modification you may be violating the decree or even breaking the law if you do not comply with the terms of the decree. Our attorneys are experienced in family law matters and work daily with the judges and commissioners in Salt Lake Valley and know how to help you in your case. Call us today for a free consultation.

Send Us A Message

More Posts

When is a protective sweep justified?

What Is A Protective Sweep?

A Protective Sweep is an Exception to the Warrant Rule. Generally speaking, law enforcement officers cannot enter your home to conduct a search without a