How Moving Out of Utah Affects Visitation Rights and Expenses

Divorce and Moving Out of State

After a divorce it is very common for the parties to remarry and start a new life with someone else.  This often times takes a party out of state.  At Salcido Law Firm our attorneys get calls from individuals all of the time who are in a panic over their ex-spouse moving or who himself or herself want to move but their ex-spouse has filed a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction to prevent the other party from moving with their child out of state.

Know the Rule – Contact Salcido Law Firm

We always advise divorce clients to make sure to contact us before deciding to move out of state because Utah has some very specific rules regarding what happens when one spouse moves out of Utah with the child or children.  For example, Utah requires the moving spouse to give the other spouse 60 days notice of the move.  This gives the other ex-spouse an opportunity to object to the move.  Many times a court will not permit the spouse to move with the moving parent.  In such cases the child usually has a close relationship with the non-moving parent and the court does not want to interfere with that relationship.

After the Move

If the move is permitted by the court the visitation schedule changes.  The non-moving parent has a right to have the child or children for a minimum of half of the summer break and half of the holidays which changes every other year.  Further, the relocating parent has to pay for the travel expenses, unless the non-relocating parent is behind on child support.

Contact Salcido Law Firm

If you are thinking about relocating, call us to find out what to do to comply with Utah law.  If you are facing a temporary retraining order or a preliminary injunction to stop you from moving call us for representation.  We offer free consultations.  801.810.5348.

Send Us A Message

More Posts

When is a protective sweep justified?

What Is A Protective Sweep?

A Protective Sweep is an Exception to the Warrant Rule. Generally speaking, law enforcement officers cannot enter your home to conduct a search without a